Assistant Wine Maker
- Manages and directs production processes to maximize production capacity and efficiency while adhering to the highest standards of safety, quality, and regulatory compliance.
- Participates in the development and continuous improvement of all winery activities.
- Assures effective communication among production and retail staff.
- Must have knowledge and experience with multiple varietals.
- Have working knowledge of all pieces of cellar equipment including sorting line equipment, de-stemmer/crushers, presses, crossflow filters, micro-ox, lees filters, pumps, bottling line, other harvest equipment, barrels, etc.
- Have working knowledge of all cellar procedures such as crushing, fermenting, pressing, wine movements, topping, barrel work, filtration, sterilization of equipment, bottling, etc.
- Prioritizes the execution of the daily work orders for production, including record keeping functions related to wine inventory and production. Ensures accurate processing of inventory and compliance records required by state and federal agencies.
- Works collaboratively with the Site Manager/Winemaker for research, purchasing and maintenance of production equipment and for ensuring adequate physical production supplies.
- Work with Site Manager/Winemaker on related issues.
- Responsible for compliance with local, county, state, and federal agencies regarding wine production.
- Oversight and management of all written winemaking/production procedures and protocol.
- Participate in planning, research and purchasing of major equipment.
College degree required, BS in Enology/Fermentation Science or Winemaking.
- Five or more years wine production experience.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work extended hours as needed.
- Strong technical skills, including a hands-on approach to management and understanding of production equipment.
- Excellent mechanical aptitude with the skills to understand the workings of all winery equipment and the ability to assess need for equipment repairs.
- As with all positions at the winery, other jobs may occasionally arise outside the realm of this job description. Doing other jobs on a fill-in basis is expected of every employee.
- Ability to multi-task. Big picture team player with strategic vision.
- Attention to detail in all aspects of production.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Flexible personality, enthusiasm, and excellent work